2011年10月7日 星期五

Learning Mandarin is HARD??? 1

This is a little perspective from me of how I feel about learning
both languages-English and Chinese.

I've been teaching Mandarin for 2 years or so and i admit that Mandarin is
NOT easy at all especially when it comes to reading and writing.
Even as a native speaker of this crazy language, I still have a lot to learn about the language.

Tips for learning Mandarin:

1.
Learning Mandarin sometimes needs a little bit imagination~
You need to have a picture in mind when u speak.
Example:   房間飛進了一隻蒼蠅 (there's a fly flying into a room)
                 - in Chinese, you need to picture a room first, then a fly is flying into a room
                   it's not like in English structure : S + V + O
                   in some cases, Chinese is more graphical than English.
                   English structures and grammar is more mechanic to me.

2.
Learning Mandarin CAN'T rely on English!!!
English is a convenient international language,
It seems easier for beginners of Mandarin to step up the language at the beginning.
But as a Mandarin teacher, I strongly suggest people DO NOT rely on it, even from the beginning.
Why? Because when you get used to it, it's hard to quit!!!
For the first few lessons of your class,
you may find it easy to understand Chinese by translating in Eng.
But when the language gets harder and harder for your study, the translation will drive you CRAZY!!
Example:
 How do you translate ”對不起“ for the following example?
 他是個好老師,但是我不夠認真,
 我”對不起“ 我的老師
 If you rely on the literal translation, then your Mandarin will be screwed up!! trust me!!

At this stage of your lesson, you need tons of examples
for each new phrase you've learn and apply it in the conversation.
You don't need to really know what's the meaning in your mother tongue
as long as you know how to use it!!


Here is a perfect example of how we shouldn't learn Chinese by Eng. translation!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPjDByp7GN0


To be continued......

( P.S:  As a non English native speaker, I tried as much as i could to convey my ideas
 and thoughts in English.  If you can't understand what I said above, please tell me then I will fix it. )

沒有留言:

張貼留言